Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, April 20, 2012

The Challenge

So today while shopping at Barnes and Noble for some books we need for our Ancient Greece study with my dd Bridget, also affectionately known as Gidget, I was presented with a challenge.
While perusing the shelves after we picked up "The Iliad and "The Odyssey", I was pointing out works of literature I had to read growing up and pointing out to my dd that she to would have to read the very same books.
Now I have always loved to read and besides reading Jane Austen (my favorite classic literary) from time to time, I usually don't read much anymore. Though I did recently read "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien, and I loved it. Then Gidget commented that I was lucky, because now I get to read books that are just for fun. Then she said, "I bet you couldn't read a book that isn't just for fun".  Thus, "The Challenge" was born. I said I could read any book she brought to me. She went on a scavenger hunt to pick me out a book. Now the rule was the book had to be a book of literature, not a 400 page book on business taxes or the like. Still even with that rule I was a little scared, and I was right to do so. She came back with a copy of War and Peace by Tolstoy.
Now I really wanted to back out at this point, but pride wouldn't allow that. Plus what kind of example am I setting if I can't read a book I don't care for. Right??
So that's "The Challenge", I am going to read War and Peace. It will probably take me 6 months, but I will read this book. Who knows, I may even enjoy it!!! Hoping this finds you and yours well.
God Bless,
Kimmie

No comments:

Post a Comment